Tasmanian Companion Card logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can help me complete an application form?

You may seek assistance from any person to complete your application form.

For children or adults unable to sign the applicant declaration and authorisation, the applicant's formal or informal decision maker may sign on the applicant's behalf. This may be a legal guardian, enduring power of attorney or unpaid carer.

A service provider or specified health professional must also sign your form and the back of your passport sized photos.

I can attend most places by myself but some venues are difficult because of their accessibility. Should I apply for a card to use at a specific venue only?

No, the card was not developed to compensate for the lack of accessibility of a specific venue. The Companion Card is issued to people who require attendant care support to participate at most venues and activities.

In a situation such as this, it is up to the individual and the venue or activity operator to negotiate an alternative method to verify the need for attendant care support.

Under existing anti-discrimination legislation, the overall responsibility for ensuring equal access to goods, services and facilities remains with the venue owners and/or event operators.

What if my condition is episodic?

The Companion Card program will consider applications from individuals who have episodic conditions - for example, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy or schizophrenia. Please provide information in your application about the frequency and impact of episodes and about why attendant care support is needed.

The Companion Card will not be issued for infrequent or unexpected events such as allergic reactions, falls or medical emergencies.

If my need for attendant care is not life-long, is there a temporary card?

The Companion Card can only be issued to people with a permanent disability who require life-long attendant care support.

If I have a serious injury that shows signs of improvement, am I eligible?

If the applicant may become independent in the future as a result of treatment, management, training, recovery or developmental improvements they are ineligible for a Companion Card.

A Companion Card will not be issued for a temporary impairment where it is likely that you will regain your independence as a result of your rehabilitation or recovery program. It is best to wait until you have completed your rehabilitation or recovery program to determine if you have an ongoing need for attendant care from a companion.

In situations where companion support is required but you do not qualify for a Companion Card, you should negotiate directly with the operators of the activity or venue.

Can children apply for a Companion Card?

Applications may be made on behalf of children however lifelong need for attendant care from a companion must be established. In the case of very young children, it may be difficult to determine their potential. If a child's condition will improve, and he or she is likely to become independent, the child will not be eligible for a card. 

Does working full-time prevent me receiving a Companion Card?

No, there is no income or asset test for a Companion Card.

I live outside Tasmania. Can I apply for a Tasmanian Companion Card?

No, applications for a Companion Card are made to the state or territory of your principal residence. However your card can be used throughout Australia.

Information on interstate Companion Card programs and participating businesses operating throughout Australia is available on the National Companion Card website.

I regularly provide attendant care. Can I apply for a Companion Card?

No, cards are only issued to a person with disability who has met the eligibility criteria, The cardholder may choose his or her companion. The cardholder must be present when purchasing a companion ticket. Cards are not issued to groups, facilities or organisations.

Can I use my Companion Card for proof of age?

No, the Companion Card is not a proof of age card; it only identifies the cardholder as a person who, due to their disability, always requires attendant care support from a companion to participate at most community venues and events.

The application process does not require a copy of your birth certificate or other proof of age documentation and your date of birth is not displayed on the card.

What if I don't qualify for a card?

The Companion Card is not for every person with a disability. There may be circumstances where an individual may use the support of a companion but will not qualify to receive a Companion Card. Examples include:

  • when a person is experiencing temporary impairment
  • where the need for attendant care support is not lifelong
  • when a person is affected by the inaccessibility of a particular venue
  • when a person chooses to have a companion to provide social company or reassurance
  • when a person chooses to have a companion rather than use available aids, equipment or alternative strategies to access a venue or event.

In situations such as these, it is up to the individual and the venue or event operators to negotiate an alternative method to verify the need for attendant care from a companion.

My original application was not successful, can I re-apply in the future?

If your circumstances change and/or you are able to provide new information that clearly demonstrates you meet the Companion Card criteria, you can request a review of your application. You will need to provide the additional information in writing. You must have one of the health professionals or service providers listed on the application form sign any new information and provide their contact details for verification.

Jump back to site navigation